All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThe Mahfouz Dialogs records the memories, views, and jokes of Naguib Mahfouz on subjects ranging from politics to the relationship between his vels and his life, as delivered to intimate friends at a series of informal meetings stretching over almost half a century. Mahfouz was a pivotal figure t only in world literature (through being awarded the Nobel prize for literature in 1988 he became the first writer in Arabic to win a mass audience), but also in his own society, where he vastly enhanced the image of the writer in the eyes of the public and encapsulated - as the victim of a savage attack on his life by an Islamist in 1994 - the struggle between pluralism, tolerance, and secularism on the one hand and extremist Islam.Moderated by Gamal al-Ghitani, a writer of a younger generation who shared a common background with Mahfouz (al-Ghitani also grew up in medieval Cairo) and felt a vast personal empathy for the writer despite their sometimes different views, these exchanges throw new light on Mahfouz's life, the creation of his vels, and literary Egypt in the last half of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyGamal al-Ghitani was born in 1945. He has written thirteen novels, including Zayni Barakat (AUC Press, 2004) and Pyramid Texts (AUC Press, 2007), and six collections of short stories. He is editor-in-chief of the literary review Akhbar al-adab. Humphrey Davies is the translator of The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany (AUC Press, 2004) and Gate of the Sun by Elias Khoury, for which he was awarded the Banipal Prize for Literary Translation. His most recent translation is Pyramid Texts by Gamal al-Ghitani (AUC Press, 2007).
- Author(s)Gamal Al-Ghitani
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2007
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Weight581 g
- Width158 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Translated byHumphrey Davies
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.