Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.89
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.95
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $27.10
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.22
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.63
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.65
About this product
- DescriptionThe acclaimed first vel by one of Flamingo's most gifted young writers, author of 'The Bronski House' and 'The Spirit Wrestlers'. Philip Marsden's brilliant first vel is set in the 1930s, in the small Cornish fishing village of Polmayne. A newcomer to the village, Jack Sweeney, buys a boat and establishes himself as a fisherman, gradually winning the respect even of the village elders. But times are changing, and a new kind of visitor is beginning to appear in Polmayne. A bohemian colony of artists offends some sensibilities, while a hotel is opened to accommodate the summer tourists, and pleasure steamers mingle with the fishing boats in the harbour. Yet, despite the superficial changes, the old ways and the old hazards of Cornish life endure. Offshore, just below the surface of the waves, lie the Main Cages, a treacherous outcrop of rock where many ships and many lives have been lost. Firmly rooted in a particular place and time, yet recalling in its universality such books as Graham Swift's 'Waterland' and E. Annie Proulx's 'The Shipping News', 'The Main Cages' is a gripping story of love and death, and a remarkable fictional debut.
- Author BiographyPhilip Marsden is the author of A Far Country: Travels in Ethiopia, The Crossing Place: Among the Armenians (which won the Somerset Maugham Award) , The Bronski House: A Return to the Borderlands and The Spirit Wrestlers: A Russian Journey. He is the editor of The Spectator Book of Travel Writing.
- Author(s)Philip Marsden
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication02/06/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight184 g
- Width192 mm
- Height136 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.