All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome Islamic scholars hold that Salafism is an invative and rationalist effort at Islamic reform that emerged in the late nineteenth century but gradually disappeared in the mid twentieth. Others argue Salafism is an anti-invative and antirationalist movement of Islamic purism that dates back to the medieval period yet persists today. Though they contradict each other, both narratives are considered authoritative, making it hard for outsiders to grasp the history of the ideology and its core beliefs. Introducing a third, empirically based genealogy, The Making of Salafism understands the concept as a recent phemen projected back onto the past, and it sees its purist evolution as a direct result of decolonization. Henri Lauziere builds his history on the transnational networks of Taqi al-Din al-Hilali (1894-1987), a Moroccan Salafi who, with his associates, participated in the development of Salafism as both a term and a movement. Traveling from Rabat to Mecca, from Calcutta to Berlin, al-Hilali interacted with high-profile Salafi scholars and activists who eventually abandoned Islamic modernism in favor of a more purist approach to Islam. Today, Salafis tend to claim a mopoly on religious truth and freely confront other Muslims on theological and legal issues. Lauziere's pathbreaking history recognizes the social forces behind this purist turn, uncovering the popular origins of what has become a global phemen.
- Author BiographyHenri Lauziere is assistant professor of history at Northwestern University.
- Author(s)Henri Lauziere
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication24/11/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleReligion, Culture and Public Life
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.