CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
About this product
- DescriptionBased on more than two decades of research conducted on five continents, this monumental work focuses on the activities of members of the Society of Jesus from its foundation to the eve of its expulsion from the Portuguese world. A second volume will examine the Order's expulsion, the fate of its members, and the disposition of its assets in Portugal and her empire from 1750 to 1808. The present volume begins with the Society's introduction to Portugal and traces its expansion throughout what the Society defined as the Portuguese Assistancy, a vast complex of administrative units that included the kingdom of Portugal and her empire plus portions of the Indian subcontinent, Japan, China, the Indonesian archipelago, and Ethiopia. Though it fully describes the evangelical and educational activities of the Jesuits, the book emphasizes their political relations with Portuguese and indigeus leaders, the founding of their major training facilities, the development of their ecomic infrastructure, their activities as governmental administrators for the Portuguese in India and China, and their role in Portugal's unsuccessful attempts to preserve her eastern empire and to revive Brazil after the Dutch occupation (1630-1654). Throughout, the author makes insightful comparisons between the Jesuits and their peers in various parts of the Portuguese Assistancy and between the Jesuits and their monastic predecessors in various parts of Europe, tably France and England.
- Author BiographyDauril Alden is Professor of History and Latin American Studies at the University of Washington. He is the author of Royal Government in Colonial Brazil.
- Author(s)Dauril Alden
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/1996
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note23 half-tones 10 maps
- Weight1510 g
- Width4531 mm
- Height6466 mm
- Spine48 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.