All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEver since the signing of the World Heritage Convention 40 years ago and ratified by 33 African countries, to date, only 43 cultural heritage sites have been successfully proclaimed as World Heritage Sites in Africa. These include archaeological and historical sites, religious monuments and cultural landscapes. This book is a re-evaluation of the mination and management of cultural World Heritage sites in Africa from the late 1970s when the Island of Goree of Senegal and the Rock-Hewn Churches of Ethiopia were first inscribed on the WHL until today. It considers whether a credible and well balanced WHL has been attained, especially in regards to the mination of more sites in Africa. The book also examines the roles and contribution of various heritage organizations and African governments to the mination and management of cultural World Heritage sites in Africa. Lastly, the volume also scrutinizes ecomic development, which may result from the mination and successful management of cultural World Heritage sites in Africa.
- Author BiographySimon Makuvaza is currently reading for a PhD in Archaeological Heritage Management as an external student at Leiden University in Netherlands. He is also a Research Fellow in the Faculty of the Built Environment at the National University of Science and Technology in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Previously, he lectured in Archaeology and Heritage Management at the Catholic University of Malawi in Limbe. Earlier to that he had worked for the National Museums and Monuments of Zimbabwe as a Curator of Archaeology from 1997 to 2010. His research interests are local indigenous communities and the management of cultural heritage sites, cultural heritage and development, conservation and the management of World Heritage Sites with an objective of finding sustainable solutions to public heritage related management problems in contested heritage settings.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication08/03/2014
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleSpringerBriefs in Archaeology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note11 colour illustrations, 10 black & white tables, biography
- Weight201 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited bySimon Makuvaza
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.