All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $14.10Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- Description(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed) Collected together for the first time in hardcover, these eighteen classic stories from across John Updike s career form a lumius chronicle of the life and times of one marriage in all its rich emotional complexity. In 1956, Updike published a story, Swing in Greenwich Village, about a young couple, Joan and Richard Maple, at the beginning of their marriage. Over the next two decades, he returned to these characters again and again, tracing their years together raising children, finding moments of intermittent happiness, and facing the heartbreak of infidelity and estrangement. Seventeen Maples stories were collected in 1979 in a paperback edition titled Too Far to Go, prompted by a television adaptation. Now those stories appear in hardcover for the first time, with the addition of a later story, Grandparenting, which returns us to the Maples s lives long after their wrenching divorce.
- Author BiographyJohn Updike was born in 1932, in Shillington, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Harvard College in 1954, and spent a year in Oxford, England, at the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art. From 1955 to 1957 he was a member of the staff of The New Yorker. He was the author of more than fifty books, including collections of short stories, poems, essays, and criticism. His novels have won the Pulitzer Prize (twice), the National Book Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Rosenthal Award, and the Howells Medal. He died in 2009.
- Author(s)Professor John Updike
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleEveryman's Library Pocket Poets
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEveryman's Library USA
- Weight286 g
- Width123 mm
- Height184 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.