All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Market addresses one of the most controversial answers to the question, 'how is social order possible?' Ever since Adam Smith conceived the idea of an 'invisible hand', advocates of the market have argued that social cohesion, material prosperity and political vitality are best achieved t by central control and planning but by laissez-faire - the policy of n-intervention. In this book, Alan Aldridge guides readers through the complex interplay between analysis, description and ideology that characterizes social theorizing on the market. A distinctive feature of The Market is its emphasis on the role of culture in shaping the social reality of markets as perceived and experienced by people participating in them. Ideologies examined include: Market fundamentalism - the conviction that free markets are universally beneficial; Market populism - the assertion that the free market reflects the democratic will of the people; Ecomic 'man' - the tion that the main motive of our actions is to maximize our personal advantage; Globalism - the claim by neo-liberals that the global expansion of markets is irresistible, making political action irrelevant. The Market will be essential reading for students and researchers interested in the sociology of ecomic life, ecomic sociology and political ecomy.
- Author BiographyAlan Aldridge is Reader in the Sociology of Culture at the University of Nottingham.
- Author(s)Dr Alan Aldridge
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2005
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleKey Concepts
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight332 g
- Width142 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.