All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Martin Ukulele is a detailed look at the ukuleles built by the C. F. Martin Co. of Nazareth, PA, and at how the instruments' success forever changed the company that made them. Martin's ukulele-making led the small, respected builder of fine guitars and mandolins into an era of unprecedented growth in the 1920s and helped it become one of the most legendary manufacturers of high-quality guitars in the world. Drawing heavily from the extensive archives at the Martin factory, the book examines the company and its development, from production records, sales ledgers, and a vast collection of correspondence to hundreds of photos, including many of the rarest ukuleles the company produced. Extensive additional imagery chronicles the history of the popularity of the ukulele itself. The book is both a narrative about Martin's ukulele manufacturing history and a reference work detailing the numbers of each style of ukulele ever made by the company. It is an exploration from Martin's first attempt at production in 1907, to the peaks of ukulele popularity in the 1920s and '50s, to the disinterest that caused Martin to cease ukulele production in the 1990s, to the recent resurgence that has allowed the firm to again offer a wide assortment of new models.
- Author BiographyTOM WALSH has done extensive research on the history of the ukulele, from its development in Hawaii to its periods of popularity on the mainland. He is a co-founder and board member of the non-profit Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum, and has been featured on radio and television programs involving ukulele history. The late JOHN KING was widely acknowledged as one of the modern masters of the ukulele. King recorded two CDs and also wrote two ukulele instructional books. He was also a dedicated ukulele historian, writing many articles about the development of the ukulele, contributing to the Hawaiian Journal of History, and coauthoring The Ukulele: A History, the first scholarly study of the instrument.
- Author(s)John King,Tom Walsh
- PublisherHal Leonard Corporation
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationMilwaukee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHal Leonard Corporation
- Content Note4-Colour, Heavily Illustrated Throughout
- Weight826 g
- Width279 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.