All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionMary Lincoln is a lightning rod for controversy. Stories reveal widely different interpretations, and it is impossible to write a definitive version of her life that will suit everyone. The thirteen engaging essays in this collection introduce Mary Lincoln's complex nature and show how she is viewed today.The authors' explanations of her personal and private image stem from a variety of backgrounds, and through these lenses--history, theater, graphic arts, and psychiatry--they present their latest research and assessments. Here they reveal the effects of familial culture and society on her life and give a broader assessment of Mary Lincoln as a woman, wife, and mother. Topics include Mary's childhood in Kentucky, the early years of her marriage to Abraham, Mary's love of travel and fashion, the presidential couple's political partnership, and Mary's relationship with her son Robert.The fascinating epilogue meditates on Mary Lincoln's universal appeal and her enigmatic personality, showcasing the dramatic differences in interpretations. With gripping prose and in-depth documentation, this anthology will capture the imagination of all readers.
- Author BiographyFormer Chief Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court Frank J. Williams is founding Chair of The Lincoln Forum. He is the author or editor of many books on Abraham Lincoln, including Judging Lincoln and The Living Lincoln. Michael Burkhimer teaches American history in the Haverford, PA, school district. He is the author of 100 Essential Lincoln Books and Lincoln's Christianity.
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byFrank Williams,Michael Burkhimer
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.