All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionOne great stable: Manton. Four training legends: Alec Taylor, his son, 'Young' Alec, Joe Lawson and George Todd. Here are their stories, from the Taylors' wars with the touts to Todd's defiance of the stewards. From the 43 classic winners to Todd's selling platers. Along the way, meet some of the grand eccentrics of the English Turf: the Duchess of Montrose, who hissed at a Royal procession; George Payne, who gambled away fortunes and tried to horsewhip a QC; and Lord Glasgow, whose hotel bill included a waiter's broken leg. Here are the men who guided Manton between the wars. Here too are the gambles, led by the Lincoln winner that paid for Manton, in cash, in a paper bag. The Masters of Manton is a wide-angle view of the horses, trainers, owners, jockeys and lads who peopled the Marlborough Downs between Old Alec Taylor building the yard in 1870 and George Todd's death in 1974.
- Author BiographyPAUL MATHIEU has visited every racecourse in Britain and was one of the early-morning team who supplied the commentary for 'Wogan's Winner' on Radio Two. His other racing book's are Beckhampton and The Druid's Lodge Confederacy.
- Author(s)Paul Mathieu
- PublisherRaceform Ltd
- Date of Publication02/09/2016
- SubjectEquestrian & Animal Sports
- Place of PublicationNewbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRacing Post
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.