All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver five hundred men from Meath died in the Great War. One hundred of those men were from Navan. Twenty Meath families lost more than one member in this war. The poet, Francis Ledwidge, would be the most famous of these, but many personal tragedies play out in the details of the book: fathers who never saw their children, teenagers who never had the opportunity to grow to adulthood, young men traumatised by the horrific conditions of the trenches. Their lives and those of their families are recorded in what is the first major project to commemorate the war dead of Meath. These men were t just statistics; each was an individual human being. Not only are the dates and places of deaths of each man recorded but the author attempts to give some background details including parents, dates of baptisms, occupations of their parents and their own occupations. The Meath war dead are a part of our identity, a shared heritage which has been hidden and disregarded for too long.
- Author BiographyNOEL FRENCH has been director of the Meath Heritage Centre, Trim since 1987. Holding an M.A. in Local Studies from NUI Maynooth Noel has been writing about the county since the 1980s. He has written twelve local histories and has had a number of articles published in Riocht na Midhe. He is a former secretary of the Meath Archaeological and Historical Society.
- Author(s)Noel E. French
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/10/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteports.
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.