The Mechanics of Independence: Patterns of Political and Economic Transformation in Trinidad and Tobago by A.N.R. Robinson (Hardback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $84.11Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $127.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf any doubt still remains, the story of Trinidad and Tobago will dispel the last illusion that money and technical assistance alone can launch a new nation in the world community. The Mechanics of Independence probes the interplay of political and social factors on national development with both commitment and detachment. The author, who is President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, is also a political scientist whose perceptions have been sharpened by the demands of his office. As a background for ecomic reforms and a new constitution, the author traces the political development of the colony under Spanish and British imperial rule, discussing the origin and evolution of the idea that led to the rise of nationalism. Valuable and practical information, supported by charts and statistics, explains how Trinidad and Tobago devised measures to cope with a legacy of ecomic problems, the tax structure, monetary policy, and international trade following its independence from Great Britain in 1962. The text is a compelling portrait of developmental efforts and a case study of the ecomic, cultural, and political problems that developing nations faced during the twentieth century and provides historical background for those nations who are facing the mounting challenges inherent in globalization. Originally published in 1971 by the Massasuchetss Institute of Techlogy Press, this seminal work is as timely today as when it was first published.
- Author BiographyA. N. R. Robinson is one of the most experienced statesmen in Trinidad and Tobago, the Caribbean region and the Commonwealth. He has been in public service for over forty-five years and is the only person who has held all three of the highest public offices in Trinidad as well as Tobago. He was the Chairman of the Tobago House of Assembly, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago and is now President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. He is active in the global community and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Author(s)A.N.R. Robinson
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2002
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.