All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe last quarter of a century has seen an unprecedented wave of democratization around the globe. In these transitions from authoritarian rule to a more democratic order, the media have played a key role both by facilitating, but frequently also inhibiting, democratic practices to take root. This book provides an accessible and systematic introduction to the media in transitional democracies. It analyses the problems that occur when transforming the media into independent institutions that are able to inform citizens and hold governments to account. The book covers the following topics: * rmative conceptions of media and democracy; * the role of the past in the transition process; * the internet as a new space for democratic change; * the persistence of political interference in emerging democracies; * the interlocking power of media markets and political ownership; * the challenges to journalistic professionalism in post-authoritarian contexts; * the role of the media in divided societies; The book takes a global view by exploring the interplay of political and media transitions in different pathways of democratization that have taken place in Eastern Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia. It will be of interest to advanced students and scholars who want a better understanding of the media outside established Western democracies. The book will also be of great value to policymakers and activists who are involved in strengthening the media in transitional democracies.
- Author BiographyKatrin Voltmer is senior lecturer in the Institute of Communication Studies at the University of Leeds.
- Author(s)Katrin Voltmer
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication07/09/2011
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitlePolity Contemporary Political Communication Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Weight432 g
- Width151 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.