The Mentor: A Memoir of Friendship and Gay Identity by John DeCecco, Jay Quinn (Paperback, 2000)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $61.05+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExamine a moving, personal narrative about growing up gay in the south! Students, teachers, and anyone interested in gay studies and experiences will find that The Mentor: A Memoir of Friendship and Gay Identity (a 2001 Lambda Literary Foundation Gay Male Biography/Autobiography Award finalist) delivers a captivating and honest look into the challenges of growing up gay through the context of firsthand experiences, revelations, and realizations. This unique book is an intelligent and personal narrative that considers the social, religious, and emotional aspects of what it is like to grow up as a gay male in the south and examines the ermous social changes regarding homosexuality that have taken place in America during the last half of the century. Written to reveal the importance of the author's mentor in helping him form his self-identity and educating him about being gay, this book challenges the stereotypical idea that, unlike heterosexuals, gay men are t able to form nurturing, fulfilling bonds between themselves. The Mentor delivers an inspiring story about accepting and understanding your sexuality with the help and guidance of other men who have traveled the road to a successful gay identity. This unique book offers the courage, strength, and support of a mentor to help guide you through the trials that many young gay men experience, such as: * recognizing the possibilities of exploitation by older gay men due to a lack of emotional and social experience * creating a loyal relationship with a man that does t include sex but which satisfies emotional needs that many gay men need and long for * discovering the importance of a mentor to gay youths, since there are few homosexual role models to learn fromSincere and well-written, The Mentor provides insight into everything from the author's experience with intolerance of homosexuality by certain religions to struggles with fidelity and infidelity, illustrating the difficult yet universal challenges of life relationships. The Mentor contains suggestions that will help you recognize that your feelings of desire and love and your quest for human connection as a gay man are t the distorted reflections of a heterosexual image, but a healthy gay identity. With this unique book, you will discover how to make the shift from confusion to full acceptance of your gay identity, you will understand that you are t alone, and perhaps you will be encouraged to pass on the legacy of a mentor to other young gay men.
- Author(s)Jay Quinn,John DeCecco
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2000
- SubjectSex & Sexuality
- Place of PublicationBinghamton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaworth Press Inc
- Weight310 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.