The Mercy of Eternity: A Memoir of Depression and Grace by Eric Wilson (Hardback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.33Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $28.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his best-selling book Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy, Eric G. Wilson challenged our culture s blindly insistent pursuit of happiness at all costs. In his harrowing yet ultimately hopeful memoir, The Mercy of Eternity, the author turns an unsparing eye on his own continuing struggle with bipolar depression and finds, within the very illness that causes so much suffering, the resources for hope, forgiveness, and love. As a bright student-athlete on his way to West Point, Eric Wilson seemed to be well on the way to a fulfilling life. Yet he was haunted by overwhelming feelings of his deep insignificance. As he grew older, the traditional means of fulfillment marriage and professional success did thing to assuage the descents into darkness and destructive behavior.Therapy and medication have offered some relief, but the birth of his daughter ultimately forces his hand. In some ways, the answer has been in front of him the whole time, for English professor Wilson finds in the literature of Coleridge, Blake, and others the lessons that depression might teach. When he comes upon negative theology the school of thought that finds God in the dark night of the soul Wilson discovers the framework for a radical call to forgive depression. Only by forgiving this capricious, impersonal force is Wilson able to find the grace to move beyond the cycles of destructive self-absorption.Wilson admits that he continues to struggle, but in facing his depression instead of trying to escape it, he finds wisdom and grace. Beautifully and accessibly written, The Mercy of Eternity is a brief yet profound meditation on the largest question of life.
- Author BiographyEric G. Wilson is the Thomas H. Pritchard Professor of English at Wake Forest University. His previous book, Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy (2008), was a Los Angeles Times and Calgary Herald best seller and was featured on NBC s Today Show, NPR s All Things Considered and Talk of the Nation, the BBC s Today Programme, and CBC s The Current. It was also featured or reviewed in Newsweek, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, and the Globe and Mail, among many others.
- Author(s)Eric Wilson
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2010
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight299 g
- Width158 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.