All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionJonathan Bate is a passionate advocate of Shakespeare and his introductions are full of striking and convincing observations ...foottes at the bottom of each page gloss unfamiliar items of vocabulary, paraphrase tricky meanings and uncover bawdy puns. There is a universe to be found in these antations: the Renaissance world of power and fate, sex and death, language and philosophy.' - The Times Educational Supplement From the Royal Shakespeare Company - a fresh new edition of Shakespeare's enduringly popular comedy THIS EDITION INCLUDES: * An illuminating introduction to The Merry Wives of Windsor by award-winning scholar Jonathan Bate * The play - with clear and authoritative explanatory tes on each page * A helpful scene-by-scene analysis and key facts about the play * An introduction to Shakespeare's career and the Elizabethan theatre * A rich exploration of approaches to staging the play featuring photographs of key productions The most enjoyable way to understand a Shakespeare play is to see it or participate in it. This unique edition presents a historical overview of The Merry Wives of Windsor in performance, recommends film versions, takes a detailed look at specific productions and includes interviews with two leading directors and an actor - Bill Alexander, Rachel Kavanaugh and Simon Callow - so that we may get a sense of the extraordinary variety of interpretations that are possible, a variety that gives Shakespeare his unique capacity to be reinvented and made 'our contemporary' four centuries after his death. Ideal for students, theatre-goers, actors and general readers, the RSC Shakespeare plays offer an accessible and contemporary approach to reading and rediscovering Shakespeare's works for the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyJONATHAN BATE Professor of Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature, University of Warwick, UK, and the editor of The RSC Shakespeare: The Complete Works. He has held visiting posts at Harvard, Yale and UCLA and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, a Fellow of the British Academy, an Honorary Fellow of St Catherine's College, Cambridge, and a Governor and Board member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. A prominent critic, award-winning biographer and broadcaster, he is the author of several books on Shakespeare, including The Genius of Shakespeare (Picador), which was praised by Sir Peter Hall, founder of the RSC, as the best modern book on Shakespeare. In June 2006 he was awarded a CBE by HM The Queen 'for services to Higher Education'. ERIC RASMUSSEN is Professor of English at the University of Nevada, USA, and the Textual Editor of The RSC Shakespeare: The Complete Works. He is co-editor of the Norton Anthology of English Renaissance Drama and has edited volumes in both the Arden Shakespeare and Oxford World's Classics series. He is the General Textual Editor of the Internet Shakespeare Editions project - one of the most visited Shakespeare websites in the world. For over nine years he has written the annual review of editions and textual studies for the Shakespeare Survey.
- Author(s)William Shakespeare
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication08/04/2010
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleThe RSC Shakespeare
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight212 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byEric Rasmussen,Jonathan Bate
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.