All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the ancients talked about messiah, what did they picture? Did that term refer to a stately figure who would rule, to a militant who would rescue, or to a variety of roles held by many? While Christians have traditionally equated the word messiah with Jesus, the discussion is far more complex. This volume contributes significantly to that discussion. Ten expert scholars here address questions surrounding the concept of messiah and clarify what it means to call Jesus messiah. The book comprises two main parts, first treating those writers who preceded or surrounded the New Testament (two essays on the Old Testament and two on extrabiblical literature) and then discussing the writers of the New Testament. Concluding the volume is a critical response by Craig Evans to both sections. This volume will be helpful to pastors and laypersons wanting to explore the nature and identity of the Messiah in the Old and New Testament in order to better understand Jesus as Messiah.
- Author BiographyStanley E Porter is President, Dean and Professor of New Testament at McMaster Divinity College, Ontario. He is the author of several books on the New Testament and the editor of more than 40 other volumes, including Reading the Gospels Today.
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication26/06/2007
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleMcMaster New Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byStanley E. Porter
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.