All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the days of the Spanish Conquest, the indigeus populations of Andean Bolivia have struggled to preserve their textile-based writings. This struggle continues today, both in schools and within the larger culture. The Metamorphosis of Heads explores the history and cultural significance of Andean textile writings--weavings and kipus (ktted cords), and their extreme contrasts in form and production from European alphabet-based texts. Denise Arld examines the subjugation of native texts in favour of European ones through the imposition of homogenised curricula by the Educational Reform Law. As Arld reveals, this struggle over language and education directly correlates to long-standing conflicts for land ownership and power in the region, since the majority of the more affluent urban population is Spanish speaking, while indigeus languages are spoken primarily among the rural poor. The Metamorphosis of Heads ackwledges the vital importance of contemporary efforts to maintain Andean history and cultural heritage in schools, and shows how indigeus Andean populations have incorporated elements of Western textual practices into their own textual activities. Based on extensive fieldwork over two decades, and historical, anthropological, and ethgraphic research, Denise Arld assembles an original and richly diverse interdisciplinary study. The textual theory she proposes has wider ramifications for studies of Latin America in general, while recognising the specifically regional practices of indigeus struggles in the face of nation building and ecomic globalisation.
- Author BiographyDenise Y. Arnold is director of the Instituto de Lengua y Cultura Aymara, La Paz, Bolivia, and visiting professor at Birkbeck College London, UK. She is the co-author with Juan de Dios Yapita of River of Fleece, River of Song.
Juan de Dios Yapita is visiting professor at Birkbeck College London, UK and co-author of Compendio aymara. He is the author of a series of Aymara poems in the collection Las lenguas de America: Recital de poesia.
- Author(s)Denise Y. Arnold,Juan De Dios Yapita
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleIlluminations: Cultural Formations of the Americas
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, maps, figures
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.