Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
About this product
- DescriptionMost people have seen Exodus, Fiddler on the Roof, Yentl, and Schindler's List well-kwn films with obvious Jewish subjects. But the Jewish experience in film is far richer than this. Over the past century, Jewish-themed films have emerged from the Americas, Europe, Israel, and North Africa. This remarkable anthology brings together 54 new and classic essays by 49 scholars in 8 countries to analyze the Jewish presence in world cinema.
Opening with a survey of the approaches employed to study historical films and how they have been applied to Jewish cinema, the book then moves on to several thematic sections containing essays on films grouped by period and region or organized around a central event or issue. These include European Jewry's acculturation; responses to oppression and belated emancipation; the American Jewish immigrant experience; the Zionist experiment; the Holocaust; postwar American Jewish life; Jewish international films; and contemporary Israeli and American Jewish cinema. An appendix offers a supplementary listing of films.
Designed for classroom use, as well as for programming at film festivals, JCCs, and synagogues, the volume provides resources to help teachers and program organizers select from a broad range of movies. It includes chapter-based bibliographies of additional readings and links to appropriate web resources.
- Author BiographyLAWRENCE BARON is the Nasatir Chair in Modern Jewish History, San Diego State University, and the author of Projecting the Holocaust into the Present: The Changing Focus of Contemporary Holocaust Cinema.
- Author(s)Lawrence Baron
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication15/01/2012
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Weight802 g
- Width179 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byLawrence Baron
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.