All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fall of 2010, Jona Frank began to make portraits at an amateur boxing club just outside of Liverpool in a suburb called Ellesmere Port. All the boys tried to act tough for the camera and Frank was reminded of a line from the Arcade Fire song Rococo, 'they seem wild but they are so tame.' In these images boys appear shirtless and sweaty, their hands covered with big, puffy, colourful gloves. What is demonstrated is that masculinity and vulnerability are t opposites.
- Author BiographyJona Frank (b. 1966, Camden, NJ) has exhibited her films and photographs internationally and her work is in several prominent collections including Getty Museum, SF MoMA, and Museum of Fine Arts Houston. Frank's first short film, Catholic School, premiered at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival and was awarded Best Bay Area Short Film at the 1999 San Francisco International Film Festival. In 2001, she was commissioned by PBS to direct a film about a high school in the Bay Area. The resulting film, Between Classes, profiled six social groups at Palo Alto High School. Her work recently appeared in The New York Times Magazine. Frank has published two books: High Schooland RIGHT: Portraits of the Evangelical Ivy League. Frank lives in Los Angeles. Bruce Weber, born in rural Greensburg, Pennsylvania in 1946, became the preeminent photographer of the fashion industry in the 1980s and continues to be one of the world s most popular and influential photographers. Working for Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld Gianni Versace, Ralph Lauren and more recently, Abercrombie & Fitch Weber pioneered a nostalgic, aspirational style that redefined the industry. He is widely considered to have introduced a new level of artistry to commercial photography.More than 15 books of Weber s work have been published. His photographs are in the permanent collections of London s Victoria and Albert Museum and the Museum of Modern Art in Paris. Weber has exhibited at venues including the 1987 Whitney Biennial in New York City, Musee de l Elysee in Lausanne, Switzerland, Palazzo Fortuny in Venice, the Florence Biennale, the National Portrait Gallery in London, the Parco Exposure Gallery in Tokyo, Fahey/Klein in Los Angeles, Galeria Corso Como in Milan, and the Russell Senate Building in Washington, DC.
- Author(s)Jona Frank
- PublisherKehrer Verlag
- Date of Publication21/09/2015
- Place of PublicationHeidelberg
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintKehrer Verlag
- Content Note43
- Weight843 g
- Width240 mm
- Height310 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.