The Moment of Choice: Social-Psychological Perspectives on Drug Usage (First Edition) by Cognella Academic Publishing (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $204.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $112.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Moment of Choice: Social-Psychological Perspectives on Drug Usage gives readers an unbiased overview of drugs and drug use from a variety of perspectives. The book presents sound information that helps individuals make informed decisions about their own use or n-use of legal and illegal drugs. The Moment of Choice differs from other books in the field by addressing numerous issues of interest and relevance to college-age students. The broad focus of the material emphasizes the social, cultural, psychological, and health impacts that drugs have t only on individuals, but on society as a whole. Bringing together a wide range of works from prominent scholars in the field, as well as selections from the Center for Health Policy and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, this insightful, engaging text challenges students to reflect on their personal kwledge, attitudes, and behaviors in relationship to chemical substances. The book is divided into five sections. The first section addresses drug use, abuse, and dependence, and provides classifications of drugs both legal and illegal. Sections Two and Three educate readers about depressants and stimulants. The fourth section discusses marijuana, hallucigens, over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, and performance-enhancing drugs. The final section of the text offers different views on legalizing certain drugs, along with preventing and treating addiction. Topics covered in the text include: The Nature of Addiction; Binge Drinking in College; Nicotine Addiction and the Cost of Smoking; Drug Use in Prison; Ecomic Approaches to Decriminalizing Drugs; and Prevention and Treatment. Through reading The Moment of Choice readers will develop a broad understanding of the complex issue of drugs in American society, and learn to differentiate between drug use, misuse, and abuse. Robert Slisz earned his counseling degree from Indiana University, Bloomington. Prior to beginning his work as an educator at the university level he was a counselor and life-skills therapist. His training included work on the psychiatric ward of a maximum-security prison, where many of the patients struggled with substance abuse issues. He uses the practical skills gained in the field in combination with his many years of teaching experience to craft his pragmatic approach to teaching about drug use in America. Professor Slisz's courses offer an environment in which students can develop and cultivate their own belief systems about the use and abuse of drugs in our society. Professor Slisz provides n-moralizing, factual information about drug use, ranging from tobacco and alcohol use to methamphetamine and heroin addiction. JoAnne C. Bunnage, Ph.D., earned her doctorate in educational leadership and policy studies from Indiana University, Bloomington. She has over 25 years of experience as a university teacher, administrator and applied researcher, including posts at Oregon State University, the University of Washington, and the University of Notre Dame. Currently Dr. Bunnage holds a position at the College of Public Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University. Her work has focused on access to post-secondary education, leadership development, and student-centered college success. Her teaching, counseling, and mentoring support students as they develop the skills necessary to be leaders in their own lives.
- PublisherCognella Academic Publishing
- Date of Publication10/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCognella Academic Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJoanne C Bunnage,Robert Slisz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.