All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElizabeth Stoddard combines the narrative style of the popular nineteenth-century male-centered bildungsroman with the conventions of women's romantic fiction in this revolutionary exploration of the conflict between a woman's instinct, passion, and will, and the social taboos, family allegiances, and traditional New England restraint that inhibit her. Set in a small seaport town (1862), The Morgesons is the dramatic story of Cassandra Morgeson's fight against social and religious rms in a quest for sexual, spiritual, and ecomic automy. An indomitable heroine, Cassandra t only achieves an equal and complete love with her husband and ownership of her family's property, but also masters the skills and accomplishments expected of women.Counterpointed with the stultified lives of her aunt, mother, and sister, Cassandra's success is a striking and radical affirmation of women's power to shape their own destinies. Embodying the convergence of the melodrama and sexual undercurrents of gothic romance and Victorian social realism, The Morgesons marks an important transition in the development of the vel and evoked comparisons during Stoddard's lifetime with such masters as Balzac, Tolstoy, Eliot, the Brontes, and Hawthorne.
- Author BiographyLawrence Buell has written two critical-historical books on nineteenth-century New England writing, Literary Transcendentalism and New England Literary Culture, as well as numerous articles and reviews. He has also edited a collection of the poetry of Walt Whitman and co-edited an anthology of the works of Elizabeth Barstow Stoddard. He is currently Professor and Chairman of the English Department of Oberlin College.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Stoddard
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/03/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Classics S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date07/08/2002
- Weight227 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Volume editorLawrence Buell,Sandra A. Zagarell
- Introduction byLawrence Buell,Sandra A. Zagarell
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.