All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionWhat do Americans think about Mormons, and why do they think what they do? J.B. Haws reveals the dramatic transformation of American thought about Mormons over a period of forty years, showing how a surprising range of personalities, organizations, and events - the Osmonds, the Olympics, the Tabernacle Choir, Evangelical Christians, the Equal Rights Amendment, Sports Illustrated, and even Miss America - helped to shape the American public's understanding of Mormon history. When the Mormon former goverr of Michigan George Romney ran for president, he was admired for his personal piety and even called a political Billy Graham. When George's son Mitt ran for president in 2008, hundreds of thousands of Christians were told that a vote for Mitt Romney was a vote for Satan. What changed in the intervening four decades? Why were the theology of the Latter-day Saints and their status as Christians widely accepted in 1968, but so hotly contested in 2008? The disconnect between admiration for the reputation of indivdual Mormons as friendly, hard-working, family-oriented and the ambivalence towards the institution of Mormonism, whuich was reputed to be secretive, authoritarian, deceptive, is a gap that represents perhaps the most dominant trend in the recent history of the LDS image. The Mormon Image in the American Mind offers crucial insight into the complex shifts in public perception of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, its membership, and American society.
- Author BiographyJ.B. Haws is Assistant Professor in the Church History and Doctrine Department at Brigham Young University.
- Author(s)J. B. Haws
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication28/11/2013
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note25 illus.
- Weight760 g
- Width164 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.