All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInspired by the memories of his mother, originally told to Dinu Li as childhood bed-time stories, The Mother of All Journeys traces, through photographs and personal quotes, the story of a woman born in rural China and her escape to a new life via Hong Kong and eventually the industrial rth of England. Li collaborated with his mother, using each other's recollections as starting points and comparing the actual with the images lodged in their minds. Li's photographs tease out fragmented moments in time, charting rural traditions from 1920s China and the communist ideologies of the late 1940s. Spanning two decades from the mid 50s, Li turns his attention to a Hong Kong changing from fishing village to urban metropolis. Under British administration, it was a time of sweatshops and western influence. Finally Li focuses on Britain, from the resettlement of his family there in the 70s, at a time of strikes and de-industrialisation, through to the millennium, and an era of multiculturalism and globalisation. Aided by family snapshots and Li's mother's narration, The Mother Of All Journeys triggers a sense of repetition and stalgia, invoking glimpses of the times we live in.
- Author BiographyBorn in Hong Kong in1965, Dinu Li now lives in Manchester, England. His work has been widely exhibited both in the UK as well as abroad in shows in Beijing, Shanghai, Berlin and Toronto.
- Author(s)Dinu Li
- PublisherDewi Lewis Publishing
- Date of Publication04/02/2007
- Place of PublicationStockport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDewi Lewis Publishing
- Content Note62 colour photographs
- Weight780 g
- Width225 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.