All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis guidebook describes the Mount Kailash trek in Tibet that leads trekkers around the sacred mountain following the pilgrims' route. Though short, this high-altitude trek is t to be undertaken lightly - Mount Kailash remains isolated and remote, and getting there is an epic journey in itself. Isolated for centuries behind the Himalayas in Tibet is a mysterious and mythical mountain, Mount Kailash, standing 6714m (22,028ft) high. The mountain has for more than a thousand years been a central pilgrimage site for some of the world's major religions. Also included in the guide is a visit to the lost kingdom of Guge, still almost unkwn in the west. The ethereal ruined fortress of Tsaparang, Guge's former capital, is Tibet's greatest Buddhist treasure-house of art and paintings - a stunning location t to be missed. In this book, the Kailash trek, and other treks in the region, are described in detail, including the key approach routes (by foot and road) and return route to Kathmandu or Lhasa. Also included is extensive practical information for planning and preparation and historical, cultural and religious background information about the places visited.
- Author BiographySian Pritchard-Jones and Bob Gibbons met in 1983, on a trek from Kashmir to Ladakh. Since then they have led and organised treks in the Alps, Nepal and the Sahara; hitched across Tibet, driven a bus with 'over-fifties' clients overland to Nepal and driven across Africa. Finally making it to Western Tibet was a wonderful experience for them, one to be shared with like-minded trekkers and travellers, for Kailash is surely the most mystical of all the fabulous Himalayan mountains.
- Author(s)Bob Gibbons,Sian Pritchard-Jones
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication07/08/2007
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content Note120 colour photos and 16 maps and profiles
- Weight290 g
- Width116 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsVinyl-covered
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.