About this product
- DescriptionThe scarlet tunic of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is recognized throughout the world. It's been worn since 1873 when Prime Minister John A. Macdonald created the original force-the North-West Mounted Police-to round up horse thieves and whiskey smugglers on the Prairies. The Mounties presents the amazing stories of such larger-than-life figures as James Macleod, an officer who befriended the powerful Blackfoot chief, Crowfoot; James Morrow Walsh, who won the trust of Sitting Bull when he arrived in Canada after the massacre at Little Big Horn; Jerry Potts, the famous Metis scout and interpreter; and Sam Steele, the superintendent who kept the peace during the Klondike Gold Rush.Today, the Mounties are a much larger force and operate with sophisticated equipment and modern techlogy. But at the heart of the RCMP are the brave men and women who risk their lives maintaining law and order across the country.
- Author BiographyA.G. Smith taught printmaking and drawing at Morehead State University in Kentucky and at the University of Windsor. Since 1981, he has worked as an illustrator and paper engineer on more than 100 book projects, including social studies and history books for children and cut-andassemble and colouring books. He is the author/illustrator of What Time Is It? and Where Am I? His art has been exhibited at galleries in Canada and the U.S. A.G. Smith lives in Windsor and Nobel, Ontario.Robert Livesey taught in Ontario secondary schools for 12 years and was a professor of communications in the School of Arts and Animation at Sheridan College for 24 years. He is president of CEO of Little Brick Schoolhouse Inc., which produces textbooks and Canadian history video kits.
- Author(s)A G Smith
- PublisherFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Date of Publication01/03/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleDiscovering Canada
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight209 g
- Width211 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Illustrator(s)Robert Livesey
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.18
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $44.81
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.80
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.84
- AU $24.46Trending at AU $29.64
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.53
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $19.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.