All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn 1830s African-American slave narrative written in Arabic. Dafydd Morgan, the only American immigrant vel published in Welsh. The Native American epic, Walum Olum, in the Lenape language. Theodor Ador's dream transcripts, in German. A short story about the politics of abortion in working-class Chinatown. Lesbian Love, a surprisingly explicit chapter from an 1853 New Orleans vel. A haunting 1904 ballad, The Revenge of the Forests, that is one of the first expressions of radical environmentalism in the United States. Largely igred in the debates over can and multiculturalism in America, indigeus American works written in languages other than English have over time disappeared from view. The first anthology of its kind, The Multilingual Anthology of American Literature brings together American writings in diverse languages from Arabic and Spanish to Swedish and Yiddish, among others. Presenting each work in its original language with facing page translation, the book provides an important complement to all other anthologies of American writing, and will serve to complicate our understanding of what exactly American literature is. American literature appears here as more than an offshoot of a single mother country, or of many mother countries, but rather as the interaction among diverse linguistic and cultural trajectories. Consider that Cotton Mather spoke half a dozen languages and wrote in both Spanish and Latin. Or that the first short story kwn to have been written by an African American (and reproduced here) was written in French. Not only a literature of immigration and assimilation, American multilingual literature participates in the larger literary tradition which too often marginalizes authors who complicate the fit of authorship, citizenship, and language.
- Author BiographyMarc Shell is Professor of Comparative Literature and English and American Language and Literature at Harvard University. Werner Sollors is Henry B. and Anne M. Cabot Professor of English Literature and Professor of Afro-American Studies and Chair of the History of American Civilization Program at Harvard University. He is the author and editor of numerous books, including The Multilingual Anthology of American Literature, Theories of Ethnicity: A Classical Reader, and Multilingual America: Transnationalism, Ethnicity, and the Languages of American Literature, all available from NYU Press.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2000
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edited byMarc Shell,Werner Sollors
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.