All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on the latest developments in bilingual and multilingual research, The Multilingual Turn offers a critique of, and alternative to, still-dominant molingual theories, pedagogies and practices in SLA, TESOL, and bilingual education. Critics of the 'molingual bias' argue that tions such as the idealized native speaker, and related concepts of interlanguage, language competence, and fossilization, have framed these fields inextricably in relation to molingual speaker rms. In contrast, these critics advocate an approach that emphasizes the multiple competencies of bi/multilingual learners as the basis for successful language teaching and learning. This volume takes a big step forward in re-situating the issue of multilingualism more centrally in applied linguistics and, in so doing, making more permeable its key sub-disciplinary boundaries - particularly, those between SLA, TESOL, and bilingual education. It addresses this issue head on, bringing together key international scholars in SLA, TESOL, and bilingual education to explore from cutting-edge interdisciplinary perspectives what a more critical multilingual perspective might mean for theory, pedagogy, and practice in each of these fields.
- Author BiographyStephen May is Professor of Education in Te Puna Wananga, and Deputy Dean Research in the Faculty of Education, University of Auckland, New Zealand. He is editor of the interdisciplinary journal, Ethnicities and Associate Editor of the journal Language Policy.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/07/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables
- Weight362 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byProfessor Stephen May
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.