All listings for this product
About this product
- Description[I]nvaluable for musicologists and troubadour scholars interested in kwing about the 'whole song', and it also provides an excellent introduction to troubadour music for the historian, philologist or, indeed, anyone with a passing interest. -David Cashman, Parergon It is a down-to-earth treatment of the discernible facts, ordered according to the type of evidence that survives. It is a book to sober up the discipline. -Daniel Leech-Wilkinson,Times Literary Supplement [A] welcome guide for the growing number of performers wishing to recreate these magical treaures from the medieval Midi. -Donna Mayer-Martin, Notes The Music of the Troubadours is the first comprehensive critical study of the 315 extant melodies of the troubadours of Occitania. It begins with an overview of their social and political milieu in the 12th and 13th centuries, then provides brief biographies of the 42 troubadours whose music survives. The four manuscripts that transmit this music are described in detail, with attention to their genesis in the overlapping roles of composers, singers, and scribes. To examine the poetic traditions within which the troubadours composed, Aubrey discusses genre, versification, and poetic style. An in-depth analysis of melodic forms and styles reveals traits of individual composers and offers a broad view of the chrological development of the music of the troubadours. Performance practice issues such as rhythm, ornamentation, chromatic inflections, and the use of instruments are explored, thus helping modern performers to bring these ancient treasures to life again.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Aubrey is Head of Musicology at The University of Iowa and author of many articles on the troubadours and the trouveres-including articles in the Revised New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians and in A Performer's Guide to Medieval Music (also from Indiana University Press). She sings and plays medieval and Renaissance music in concert.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Aubrey
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2000
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleMusic: Scholarship & Performance
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note99 figures
- Weight613 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.