All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Musical Imperative, 4th Edition, is intended for use as a college-level music appreciation course textbook. The book discusses: 1) how music is put together, including covering the components of music, such as tone, rhythm, melody, etc., 2) how different pieces are designed (as a collection of short selections, as a narrative, etc.), 3) types of instruments and instrument combinations, 4) instrumental forms, such as the suite, and the sonata, 5) vocal classifications and singing styles, such as jazz, country, rock, 5) choral groups and ensembles of all sizes and types (both secular and religious, including song cycles, opera, the oratorio, etc.), and 6) overviews of classical music, jazz, Broadway musicals, country music, and rock and roll based on the theory that all of the styles of music listed have their own Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern periods.
- Author BiographyDr. Simon Anderson taught at the University of Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music for 41 years, retiring in 2005. While there, his Music Appreciation and Jazz-Pop Music History classes were always crowded to capacity. His books, The Musical Imperative and Pop Music USA have been used in over 20 universities and colleges nationwide. He brings a wealth of experience and insight to the task of explaining music to the college students of the nation. As a weekend jazz pianist and Sunday morning church choir director, he creates music every week. As a composer of several anthems, a Christmas cantata, two Easter cantatas, and a full-length musical comedy, Dr. Anderson knows how and why styles convey different moods. He was a frequent convention speaker and offered Opera Previews each summer for the Cincinnati Opera Association. He also presented Classical Conversations before several concerts each year of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Dr. Gerard Aloisio received his Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Trombone performance from The College Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati. A musical jack of all trades, Dr. Aloisio has long specialized in making music come alive for people of all types, backgrounds, and age groups. General Education music classes remain his first love and primary area of expertise. Dr. Aloisio teaches all of the Music Department offerings for non-majors at Minnesota State University at Mankato, including Introduction to Music, Pop Music U.S.A., and Music of the World. Nearly 60% of M.S.U. students take at least one class with Dr. Aloisio before they graduate. Dr. Aloisio is a well-respected professional trombonist, having performed with numerous professional orchestras and artists ranging from Sarah Vaughan and Johnny Mathis to The Four Tops and Frankie Valli. Dr. Warren J. Anderson received his Doctorate in Worship Studies from the Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies in Orange Park, Fla. He currently serves as Director of Judson University's Center for Worship in the Performing Arts, Dean of the Chapel, and Director of the Judson University Choir. Anderson is also the worship pastor at Elgin Evangelical Free Church, and he serves on the editorial board of Worship Leader magazine, for which he writes a monthly column and occasional features.
- Author(s)Dr Simon V Anderson
- Date of Publication10/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.