All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerica-bashing predates America: French Enlightenment philosophies claimed that the colony was doomed and one critic reported that the colony's population was astonishingly idiotic [and] enervated . As the United States became a superpower after the Second World War, a more virulent, politically charged form of declinism emerged amid hysteria that the Russians are coming . It was followed by the European miracle, Japan's Rising Sun and w the looming Chinese behemoth. While declinism may delight the media and gloating Europeans eager to play up America's has-been status, the facts do t corroborate the contentions, as Josef Joffe demonstrates in this history of American declinism. He offers a highly provocative examination of how the US, for all its failings, continues to be a force of rejuvenation today.
- Author BiographyPublisher-editor of Die Zeit and the author of Uberpower, Josef Joffe was educated at Swarthmore College and Harvard University. A frequent contributor to Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy, he is a founding board member of the American Interest. He is a Fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution and the Freeman-Spogli Institute for International Studies.
- Author(s)Josef Joffe
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication16/01/2015
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Content Note32 illustrations
- Weight280 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.