All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis essential introduction to American studies examines the core foundational myths upon which the nation is based and which still determine discussions of US-American identities today. These myths include the myth of discovery, the Pocahontas myth, the myth of the Promised Land, the myth of the Founding Fathers, the melting pot myth, the myth of the West, and the myth of the self-made man. The chapters provide extended analyses of each of these myths, using examples from popular culture, literature, memorial culture, school books, and every-day life. Including visual material as well as study questions, this book will be of interest to any student of American studies and will foster an understanding of the United States of America as an imagined community by analyzing the foundational role of myths in the process of nation building.
- Author BiographyHeike Paul teaches American Studies at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universitat Erlangen-Nurnberg (Germany). Her current research interests are cultural mobility and interculturality, transnational American studies, dimensions of tacit knowledge, and contemporary North American literature.
- Author(s)Heike Paul
- PublisherTranscript Verlag
- Date of Publication15/12/2012
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTranscript Verlag
- Weight610 g
- Width148 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.