The Narcissism of Minor Differences: How America and Europe are Alike by Peter Baldwin (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is much heated rhetoric about the widening gulf between Europe and America. But are the US and Europe so different? Peter Baldwin, one of the world's leading historians of comparative social policy, thinks t, and in this bracingly argued but remarkably informed polemic, he lays out how similar the two continents really are. Drawing on the latest evidence from sources such as the United Nations, the World Bank, IMF, and other international organizations, Baldwin offers a fascinating comparison of the United States and Europe, looking at the latest statistics on the ecomy, crime, health care, education and culture, religion, the environment, and much more. It is a book filled with surprising revelations. For most categories of crime, for instance, America is safe and peaceful by European standards. But the biggest surprise is that, though there are many differences between America and Europe, in almost all cases, these differences are greater than the differences among European nations. Europe and the US are, in fact, part of a common, big-tent grouping. America is t Sweden, for sure. But r is Italy Sweden, r France, r even Germany. And who says that Sweden is Europe? Anymore than Vermont is America? Meticulous, insistent, and elegant. -John Lloyd, Financial Times A must-read...filled with intriguing facts that add nuance to what can often be a black-and-white debate. -Foreign Affairs An exhaustive and enthralling catalogue of our commonalities that begs a reconsideration of just what it means to be European or American. -Publishers Weekly
- Author BiographyPeter Baldwin is Professor of History at the University of California-Los Angeles. He is the author of Disease and Democracy: The Industrialized World Faces AIDS, Contagion and the State in Europe, 1830-1930, and The Politics of Social Solidarity: Class Bases of the European Welfare State, 1875-1975.
- Author(s)Peter Baldwin
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication24/11/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note150 b/w illus.
- Weight443 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $24.97New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $16.52Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.33Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.