All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book covers two lesser kwn but important members of the Italian Mafia: the 'Ndrangheta and the Sacra Corona Unita. Italian criminal organizations, in particular Mafia, are one of the most commonly researched organized crime groups, usually focusing on the Sicilian Mafia, Cosa Nostra, or the Neapolitan Mafia, Camorra. However, Italy has other two other Mafias, one in Apulia, Sacra Corona Unita, and the other in Calabria, 'Ndrangheta. Although an extensive literature is available on Cosa Nostra and Camorra, less is kwn about the other two organizations, particularly their operations in the United States. Territory is one of the most important elements in the Mafia because the criminal organization operates its sigria territoriale, controlling every illegal activity in its sphere of action. This territorial power goes beyond the Italian boundaries reaching the United States of America and other n-European countries, with the mere aim of developing their drug/weapon deals and money laundering businesses. Mafia, therefore, is t a uniquely Italian phemen as it might appear, but a worldwide phemen, affecting many societies and ecomies. This unique volume is its interest into a field as yet completely provides new information about the 'Ndrangheta and Sacra Corona Unita written by an interdisciplinary group of Italian scholars. It covers organizational, hierarchic, and operative aspects: that is, the role that they have in politics, in their own families, in business relations in Italy and abroad. It also highlights the particular role that Cosa Nostra and Camorra had in their development. This work will be of interest to crimilogy researchers studying organized crime, corruption, money laundering and trafficking, as well as researchers from related fields, such as political science, ecomics, and international relations.
- Author BiographyNicoletta Serenata is a Lecturer of Italian Studies at Auburn University in Alabama, with a research focus on the Italian mafia, also holding a Masters in Communication from University of Rome, Italy. Coming from southern Italy, she has been focusing her research interest in criminal organizations, in particular less studied Mafia organizations: the Sacra Corona Unita and the 'Ndrangheta.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication14/05/2014
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleStudies of Organized Crime
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note11 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight473 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byNicoletta Serenata
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.