All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWidely considered to be the greatest short story writer in all of French literature, Guy de Maupassant helped define the modern short story, deeply influencing the likes of Chekhov, Maugham, Babel and O. Henry. Yet despite his mastery of the form, existing English translations render his prose in an archaic style. Convinced that this protege of Flaubert deserved to be modernised in the same way that Lydia Davis had brought Madame Bovary to life, Sandra Smith selected twenty-eight classic Maupassant short stories, written between 1880 and 1890, including Le Horla and Boule de Suif . Divided thematically into tales of French life, war and the supernatural, The Necklace and Other Stories promises to reintroduce Maupassant to twenty-first-century readers.
- Author BiographyBorn in Normandy, Guy de Maupassant (1850-1893) is the author of over three hundred short stories and six novels, including Bel Ami and Pierre et Jean. He is widely considered to be one of the fathers of the modern short story. Sandra Smith is the translator of Camus' The Stranger and Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise, which won her the French American Foundation and Florence Gould Foundation Translation prize and the PEN/Book-of-the-Month-Club Translation Prize. She lives in New York.
- Author(s)Guy De Maupassant
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Weight650 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Translated bySandra Smith
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.