All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUtilizing evidence from numerous imperial cities, this book offers an explanation for the spread and survival of urban reform during the sixteenth century. By analyzing the operation of regional political constellations, it reveals a common process of negotiation that shaped the Reformation in the Holy Roman Empire. It reevaluates traditional models of reform that leave unexplored the religious implications of flexible systems of communication and support among cities. Such networks influenced urban reform in fundamental ways, affecting how Protestant preachers moved from city to city, as well as what versions of the Reformation city councils introduced. This fusion of religion and politics meant that with local variations, negotiation within a regional framework sat at the heart of urban reform. The Negotiated Reformation therefore explains t only how the Reformation spread to almost every imperial city in southern Germany, but also how it survived imperial attempts to repress religious reform.
- Author BiographyChristopher W. Close received his PhD in History from the University of Pennsylvania and is currently teaching at Princeton University, New Jersey. He has held visiting professorships at several institutions including Kutztown University, Pennsylvania and the College of New Jersey. His articles have appeared in The Sixteenth Century Journal and Central European History.
- Author(s)Christopher W. Close
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 maps
- Weight610 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.