All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat was life like in Scotland between 4000 and 2000 BC? Where were people living? How did they treat their dead? Why did they spend so much time building extravagant ritual monuments? What was special about the relationship people had with trees and why was so much time and effort spent digging holes and filling them back up again? This collection examines what we can say about how people lived in the Neolithic and early Bronze Age of mainland Scotland where much of the evidence we have lies in the plough-zone, or survives as slumped banks and filled ditches, or simply appears as ruius megaliths. It draws together leading experts and young researchers to present fresh research and outlines radical new interpretations of the pits, postholes, ditches, rubbish dumps, human remains and broken potsherds left behind by our Neolithic forebears. Much of this evidence has come to light as a result of rescue or developer-led fieldwork in the past few decades, putting the emphasis very much on lowland, mainland Scotland as opposed to high-profile Orcadian Neolithic sites. Inspired by the work of Gordon Barclay, one of the leading scholars of Scotland's Neolithic over the last forty years, this new compilation offers a wide-ranging analysis of the evidence we have for the first farmers in Scotland.
- Author BiographyDr Kenneth Brophy is Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Glasgow. Dr Gavin MacGregor is a heritage professional at the independent body Northlight Heritage. Ian Ralston is Abercromby Professor of Prehistoric Archaeology and Head of the Archaeology School at the University of Edinburgh. His interests include the European Iron Age, Scottish archaeology of all periods, and the development of applied archaeology. He is the co-author of The Archaeology ofBritain: An Introduction from Earliest Times to the Twenty-First Century (2009).
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byDr Gavin MacGregor,Dr Kenneth Brophy,Ian Ralston
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.