All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhere does science end and religion begin? Can spiritual images and feelings be understood on a neurobiological level without dismissing their power and mystery? In this book, psychiatrist Erik Goodwyn addresses these questions by reviewing decades of research, putting together a compelling argument that the emotional imagery of myth and dreams can be traced to our deep brain physiology, and importantly, how a sensitive look at this data reveals why mythic or religious symbols are indeed more godlike than we might have imagined. The Neurobiology of the Gods weaves together Jungian depth psychology with research in evolutionary psychology, neuroanatomy, cognitive science, neuroscience, anthropology, mental imagery, dream research, and metaphor theory into a comprehensive model of how our brains contribute to the recurrent images of dreams, myth, religion and even hallucinations. Divided into three sections, this book provides: * definitions and foundations * an examination of individual symbols * conclusive thoughts on how brain physiology shapes the recurring images that we experience. Goodwyn shows how common dream, myth and religious experiences can be meaningful and purposeful without discarding scientific rigor. The Neurobiology of the Gods will therefore be essential reading for Jungian analysts and psychologists as well as those with an interest in philosophy, anthropology and the interface between science and religion.
- Author BiographyErik D. Goodwyn is a practicing military psychiatrist for the Air Force in North Dakota, involved in teaching, research and patient care, including that of deployed soldiers. His essays on archetypes, Jungian theory and neuroscience as well as dreams reported by soldiers in combat have appeared in The Journal of Analytical Psychology.
- Author(s)Erik D. Goodwyn
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight566 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $60.93Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.