All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Molly gives us the full scoop on the Countdown years ...The book is rich with behind-the-scenes lore and gore ...It would be unpatriotic t to love the guy. He takes some of the better elements of the national character - lack of pretension, a love of simple pleasures - and cranks them up to 11.' Weekend Australian..'A Missive from a time we'll never see again.' Rolling Stone. More than thirty-five years in the making, this is the story of Ian 'Molly' Meldrum and the television show that stopped the nation. In 1974 Molly was working as a record producer and music journalist when he was offered the chance to be the talent co-ordinator of a new music show called Countdown. It would run for the next thirteen years and become one of the most-loved and most-watched programs on Australian television. It also turned Molly into a national institution (or 'mental institution' as one of his friends put it). During that period he t only became the most influential voice in Australian music, he endeared himself to millions of viewers with a uniquely unpolished interviewing style and a tangible on-screen passion. For better or for worse, whether interviewing Prince Charles or Sid Vicious, Molly was always Molly. Along the way he talked, partied, argued, exchanged blows and became firm friends with a roll-call of the world's greatest musical names. Sir Elton John famously described him as 'the best thing that ever happened to Australian music.' Filled with outrageous anecdotes and a kaleidoscopic cast of musos, colourful characters and international superstars, The Never, Um, Ever Ending Story is Molly's hilarious, vivid, warm and always compelling memoir of his chaotic, incredible life and the show that made him famous.
- Author BiographyIan 'Molly' Meldrum was born in 1943. Described as 'the single most important person in the Australian pop industry for 40 years', he is best known as the host, talent co-ordinator, on-air interviewer and music news presenter on Countdown from 1974-1987. He has also worked as music critic, journalist, musical entrepreneur and record producer. He hosted the Australian leg of Live Aid in July 1985 and was subsequently made a Member of the Order of Australia. Molly lives in Richmond, Victoria. He is passionate supporter of both the St Kilda Football Club and The Melbourne Storm NRL team.
- PrizesShortlisted for ABIA Australian Biography of the Year 2015.
- Author(s)Ian 'Molly' Meldrum
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/11/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- 0840217405 Apr, 2016by
My daughter read this from start to end and loved the stories Molly had to tell. I wish there was another book like it that has places and people she could relate to. I would recommend this to everyone.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30