All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe New Biography looks at the life stories of eight famous women in nineteenth-century France who became public figures even though they lived in a society that did t encourage women to speak out publicly. All of these women - activists, writers, and philosophers - became controversial figures who challenged conventional tions of femininity in their time. By showing how these women deliberately created their public lives, Jo Burr Margadant and her colleagues demonstrate the rich rewards of the new methods in biography. In her introduction Margadant gives a brilliant explanation of the new biography and how it fits into recent and current debates about the writing of history. Each essay that follows connects the lives of the women it discusses with major themes in French history. The famous activist Flora Tristan, the feminist journalist Marguerite Durand, and a leading advocate of birth control, Nelly Roussell, are just a few of the fascinating women brought to life in this book. Because these stories often expose the cracks in what has been seen as a molithic separation of gendered spheres in nineteenth-century bourgeois France, they challenge historians to rethink assumptions about the history of this period. The New Biography thus joins a body of work that brings women from the margins of the historical record into history's mainstream.
- Author BiographyJo Burr Margadant is Associate Professor of History at Santa Clara University. She is author of the prizewinning Madame le Professeur: Women Educators in the Third Republic (1990).
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2000
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleStudies on the History of Society & Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number38
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note15 b/w photographs
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJo Burr Margadant
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.