Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $59.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe French sociologist Emile Durkheim (1858-1917) is considered to be a founding father of several academic disciplines: sociology, anthropology, and religious studies. His books, The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life , Suicide , The Rules of Sociological Method , and The Division of Labor in Society are still required reading for any serious student in these fields. Religion as the objectification of social ties, ritual as a source of collective effervescence, amie as a force shaping modern suicide - all these are ideas derived from Durkheim. While commonly recognized for these fundamental concepts, however, Durkheim is becoming increasingly kwn for far more. In recent years, social theorists have begun looking at his work in new ways, situating him in the social, intellectual, and cultural context of his time. This approach offers a new basis for social theory and for the teaching of Durkheim's classic original texts. Ivan Strenski, a leading figure in this reexamination, brings together a collection of his own essays to demonstrate the fruitful ways that Durkheimian perspectives can be applied to contemporary issues. Chapters focus on a wide range of topics, including sacrifice, religion, animal rights, and terrorism. Strenski concludes with a forward-looking essay that links the revitalization of Durkheimian social theory with an exciting new approach to teaching his texts and ideas. This book will be essential reading for scholars in religious studies, anthropology, and sociology.
- Author BiographyIvan Strenski is Holstein Family Community Professor of Religious Studies at the University of California, Riverside, and the former editor of the journal Religion.
- Author(s)Ivan Strenski
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Weight508 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.83Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.