All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is n-fiction Brick Lane -what life is really like around Brick Lane and the East End. One of the most influential n-fiction books of the 1950s was Family and Kinship in East London which examined in great depth the life of people living in the dockland areas that had been so comprehensively destroyed in the blitz. What has happened since? In the 50 years since the whole area has gone into terrible decline; has been comprehensively redeveloped (sometimes more than once); and, most important of all, has seen the traditional families largely leave, to be replaced by a huge influx of Bangladeshi families - many of whom are w into the second generation. What are their lives like? How is the community coping with the radical change? What are relations like between the old white population and the new Asian population? Does government policy affect racism? (Here the authors show - startlingly - that housing policies have made race relations much worse and must be changed. This will be very controversial). The book is a comprehensive examination of life in one of the most intriguing parts of England - but it stands for all Britain, and indeed everywhere in the world with large new immigrant populations.
- Author BiographyThe late Michael Young was co-author of the much-celebrated Family and Kinship in East London and founded institutions including the Consumers' Association and the Open University. Kate Gavron is a fellow at the Young Foundation and a vice-chair of the Runnymede Trust. Geoff Dench is Professor of Sociology at Middlesex University and a fellow at the Young Foundation. He trained as a social anthropologist at Cambridge and the LSE.
- Author(s)Geoff Dench,Kate Gavron,Michael Young
- PublisherProfile Books Ltd
- Date of Publication17/02/2006
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProfile Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date17/12/2013
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight425 g
- Width153 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.