All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the point of view of psychology and cognitive science, much of modern linguistics is too formal and mathematical to be of much use. The New Psychology of Language volumes broke new ground by introducing functional and cognitive approaches to language structure in terms already familiar to psychologists, thus defining the next era in the scientific study of language. The Classic Edition volumes re-introduce some of the most important cognitive and functional linguists working in the field. They include a new introduction by Michael Tomasello in which he reviews what has changed since the volumes were first published and highlights the fundamental insights of the original authors. The New Psychology of Language volumes are a must-read for anyone interested in understanding how cognitive and functional linguistics has become the thriving perspective on the scientific study of language that it is today.
- Author BiographyMichael Tomasello is Co-Director of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany. His research interests focus on processes of social cognition, social learning, and communication/language in human children and great apes. Books include First Verbs (Cambridge University Press, 1992), Primate Cognition (Oxford University Press, 1997, with J. Call), The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition (Harvard University Press, 1999), Constructing a Language: A Usage-Based Theory of Language Acquisition (Harvard University Press, 2003), Origins of Human Communication (MIT Press, 2008), Why We Cooperate (MIT Press, 2009), and A Natural History of Human Thinking (Harvard University Press, 2014).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/06/2014
- Series TitlePsychology Press & Routledge Classic Editions
- Place of PublicationHove
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPsychology Press Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byMichael Tomasello
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.