All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe New Testament writings are the foundational documents of early Christianity. But to fully understand them we need a broad historical awareness of the wider social, ecomic, political and religious context that produced them. Exploring the transition from an oral to a written tradition, this fascinating primer depicts the growth of the early church amid the Roman and Hellenistic Empires. Focusing on the composition and content of the Syptic Gospels - those of Matthew, Mark and Luke - W. R. Telford furnishes the reader with an appreciation of the methods contemporary scholars apply to the Gospels and also offers an assured, in-depth guide to the texts themselves. Broaching difficult questions about the differing accounts of Jesus' life that the New Testament has left us, this is an invaluable starting point for anyone looking to understand the roots of Christianity.
- Author BiographyW. R. Telford is the author of a number of books and articles on the New Testament and Christian origins. Formerly a Senior Lecturer at Durham University's Department of Theology and Religion (and now Emeritus), he is currently Visiting Fellow at St John's College, Durham University.
- Author(s)W. R. Telford
- PublisherOneworld Publications
- Date of Publication09/01/2014
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleBeginner's Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOneworld Publications
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight204 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.