All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionIn this useful work, Dormeyer assesses the influence of Hellenistic culture upon the New Testament as a literary work. There is denying the impact of Jewish literature upon the New Testament, but even those Jewish antecedents were themselves t infrequently imprinted with Hellenistic characteristics. Dormeyer's method is to consider in turn the literary forms (Gattungen) of the New Testament, outlining with many examples the parallels between the New Testament and Hellenistic literature. The Syptic sayings, for instance, are closest in character to the Hellenistic gme, though the representation of Jesus as an eschatological and prophetic wisdom teacher shows a marked difference from other teachers of wisdom in Hellenistic circles. Other areas of close correspondence with Hellenistic literature lie in the form and rhetoric of the New Testament epistles, and in the structure of the Gospels, which invoke the cans of Hellenistic historiography and biography. Throughout, Dormeyer is at pains to stress the contours of the special quality of the New Testament literature as the product of a quite small community that nevertheless brought into being a number of authors of exceptional talent.
- Author BiographyDetlev Dormeyer is Professor of Biblical Theology, Department of Theology, University of Dortmund.
- Author(s)Detlev Dormeyer
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/01/1997
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleBiblical Seminar S.
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 55
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSheffield Academic Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width159 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.