All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionReflecting the fast-changing world of print journalism, the Second Edition of Newswriter's Handbook: An Introduction to Journalism is fully updated and expanded. Authors and experienced journalists Stein, Pater, and Burnett have refined this edition to more fully address contemporary issues. Coverage includes greater emphasis on recent legal trends involving journalism; the ethical scandals that in recent years have strained the credibility of news organizations large and small; a new section on obituary writing; and increased attention to opportunities on the World Wide Web. From spot or hard news to features, news features, editorials and opinions, the Newswriter's Handbook shows how to develop news judgment, how to write accurately and fairly, how to organize a story and write it clearly, how to handle the complexities of honesty and ethics in journalism, and how to cover traditional beats and prepare to specialize. Loaded with examples from the largest dailies to respected state capital city newspapers and campus publications, Newswriter's Handbook, Second Edition teaches students the writing and reporting skills necessary in today's job market while exciting them about the possibilities of a career in the news business.
- Author BiographyM. L. Mike Stein, M.A., has more than 40 years of experience a journalist, author and teacher. After 16 years as a reporter for mid-size and metropolitan dailies as well as national magazines, Stein served as professor and chairman of the Department of Journalism and Mass Communications at New York University and the Department of Journalism at California State University, Long Beach. He also has reported from overseas. Stein is the author of several books on journalism and general writing skills, including Getting & Writing the News, How to Write Plain English, and When Presidents Meet the Press. A native of Escanaba, Mich., he lives in Irvine, Calif., where he writes a newspaper column and contributes to various other newspapers and magazines. He holds degrees from the University of Missouri and Stanford University. Susan F. Paterno, M.S.J., director of the journalism program at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., is an award-winning journalist with more than 20 years experience as a reporter, writer and columnist. A senior writer for American Journalism Review, Professor Paterno has also written for the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, Parenting and many other publications. She has collaborated on a half dozen books, including writing The Newswriters Handbook and Talk Straight, Listen Carefully: The Art of Interviewing with M.L. Stein, the former chair of New York University's Department of Journalism and Mass Communications. For nearly a decade, Professor Paterno served on the staff of the Orange County Register, where she won numerous awards for writing and reporting, and several fellowships for post-graduate study. She holds a post-graduate degree from the University of Southern California, a M.S. J. from Northwestern University and two A.B. degrees from Occidental College in Los Angeles, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa with honors in American Studies and Diplomacy and World Affairs. R. Christopher Burnett, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of journalism at California State University, Long Beach. Burnett worked for more than a decade as a political reporter in Washington, D.C. He also has worked in public relations, on political campaigns, and as an editor and a reporter on newspapers in Colorado, Michigan, New York, and Ohio. He still works as a freelance writer. He has a Ph.D. in political science from Colorado State University, a master's degree in political science from George Washington University, and a master's degree in journalism from The Ohio State University. A native of Ohio, his undergraduate degree is from Ohio Wesleyan University.
- Author(s)M. L. Stein,R. Christopher Burnett,Susan F. Paterno
- PublisherIowa State University Press
- Date of Publication23/08/2006
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationArnes, AI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIowa State University Press
- Content Note0
- Weight708 g
- Width180 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.