All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $79.64Free postage
- AU $83.51Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionThe Night Life of Trees is an exquisite hand-bound and screen-printed book of paintings by three of the finest artists of the Gond tribal art tradition. The Gonds, a tribe of central India, are traditionally forest dwellers. They believe that trees are hard at work during the day providing shelter and urishment to all. Only when night falls can they finally rest, and their spirits reveal themselves. These lumius spirits are captured in The Night Life of Trees, a fascinating and haunting foray into the Gond imagination. Each painting is accompanied by its own poetic tale, myth or lore, narrated by the artists themselves, which recreate the familiarity and awe with which the Gond people view the natural world. Screen-printed by hand on black paper, every page of this book is an original print. Each book in this limited second edition of 1,000 is individually numbered.
- Author BiographyHailing from the Gond tribe of Madhya Pradesh in India, Bhajju Shayam's captivating visuals and easy storytelling style fuse his perceptions of the modern world with his tribe's unique visual language. His work has been exhibited widely in India, as well as in Milan, The Hague, Paris and London. Perhaps the most versatile artist of the Gond art tradition, Bhajju uses inherited forms in very current and expressive ways, while experimenting with innovative subjects and new ideas. There are new influences in my work, but my art is still the same , he has said, reflecting upon his success. I never expected this kind of response; I thought people would find my way of looking at the world odd . Ram Singh Urveti, an artist from central India, is one of the most brilliant living artists of the Gond tradition. His work has spread the myths and stories of the Gond community throughout Asia, Europe, Australia and South America and has won him national and international awards. His work creates a world of fantasy and metamorphosis, coming alive with finely detailed forms. Durga Bai is a young tribal artist from the Gond tradition of central India. Gond is a ritual and functional art style with distinctive decorative elements, mostly painted on walls of houses, using natural colours. Durga constantly re-works and pushes the borders of the form to create art that sparkles with a distinctive energy.
- Author(s)Bhajju Shyam,Durga Bai,Ram Singh Urveti
- PublisherTara Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2006
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationChennai
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintTara Publishing
- Content Notecolour, screen printed by hand on black paper
- Weight612 g
- Width230 mm
- Height320 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.