All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $73.18Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.26Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.59Trending at AU $22.70
About this product
- DescriptionAn evocative and often lyrical (San Francisco Chronicle) vel about a young American couple who win a pub on the southernmost tip of Ireland and become embroiled in the local violence and intrigue.The Night Swimmer, Matt Bondurant's utterly riveting modern gothic vel of marriage and belonging, confirms his gift for storytelling that transports and enthralls. In a small town on the southern coast of Ireland, an isolated place only frequented by fishermen and the occasional group of bird-watchers, Fred and Elly Bulkington, newly arrived from Vermont having won a pub in a contest, encounter a wild, strange land shaped by the pounding storms of the North Atlantic, as well as the native resistance to strangers. As Fred revels in the life of a new pubowner, Elly takes the ferry out to a nearby island where anyone t born there is called a blow-in. To the disbelief of the locals, Elly devotes herself to open-water swimming, pushing herself to the limit and crossing unseen boundaries that drive her into the heart of the island's troubles--the mysterious tragedy that shrouds its inhabitants and the dangerous feud between an enigmatic farmer and a powerful clan that has use for outsiders. The poignant unraveling of a marriage, the fierce beauty of the natural world, the mysterious power of Irish lore, and the gripping story of strangers in a strange land rife with intrigue and violence--The Night Swimmer is a vel of myriad enchantments by a writer of extraordinary talent.
- Author BiographyMatt Bondurant's second novel The Wettest County in the World was a New York Times Editor's Pick, one of the San Francisco Chronicle's Best 50 Books of the Year, and has been made into a major motion picture retitled Lawless, to be released in August 2012. His first novel The Third Translation was an international bestseller, translated into fourteen languages worldwide. He currently lives in Texas.
- Author(s)Matt Bondurant
- PublisherScribner Book Company
- Date of Publication07/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScribner Book Company
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.