All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1915 and 1916 Emmy Noether was asked by Felix Klein and David Hilbert to assist them in understanding issues involved in any attempt to formulate a general theory of relativity, in particular the new ideas of Einstein. She was consulted particularly over the difficult issue of the form a law of conservation of energy could take in the new theory, and she succeeded brilliantly, finding two deep theorems. But between 1916 and 1950, the theorem was poorly understood and Noether's name disappeared almost entirely. People like Klein and Einstein did little more then mention her name in the various popular or historical accounts they wrote. Worse, earlier attempts which had been eclipsed by Noether's achievements were remembered, and sometimes figure in quick historical accounts of the time. This book carries a translation of Noether's original paper into English, and then describes the strange history of its reception and the responses to her work. Ultimately the theorems became decisive in a shift from basing fundamental physics on conservations laws to basing it on symmetries, or at the very least, in thoroughly explaining the connection between these two families of ideas. The real significance of this book is that it shows very clearly how long it took before mathematicians and physicists began to recognize the seminal importance of Noether's results. This book is thoroughly researched and provides careful documentation of the textbook literature. Kosmann-Schwarzbach has thus thrown considerable light on this slow dance in which the mathematical tools necessary to study symmetry properties and conservation laws were apparently provided long before the orchestra arrives and the party begins.
- Author(s)Yvette Kosmann-Schwarzbach
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- Series TitleSources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight488 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Translated byBertram Eugene Schwarzbach
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement2011
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.21New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.70New
- AU $11.12Used
- AU $19.94New
- AU $53.62New
- AU $24.00New
- AU $19.94New
- AU $19.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.32
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.47
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.