All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew of us have had the opportunity to visit Djibouti, the small crook of a country strategically located in the Horn of Africa, which makes The Nomads, My Brothers, Go Out to Drink from the Big Dipper all the more seductive. In his first collection of poetry, the critically acclaimed writer Abdourahman A. Waberi writes passionately about his country's landscape, drawing for us pictures of desert furrows of fire and a yellow chameleon sky. Waberi's poems take us to unexpected spaces-in exile, in the muezzin's call, and where morning dew is sucked up by the eye of the sun-black often, pink from time to time. Translated by Nancy Naomi Carlson, Waberi's voice is intelligent, at times ironic, and always appealing. His poems strongly condemn the civil wars that have plagued East Africa and advocate tolerance and peace. In this compact volume, such ideas live side by side as a rosary for the treasures of Timbuktu, destroyed by Islamic extremists, and a poem dedicated to Edmond Jabes, the Jewish writer and poet born in Cairo.
- Author BiographyAbdourahman A. Waberi is a novelist, essayist, poet, and professor of literature at George Washington University. He is the author of The Land without Shadows, In the United States of Africa, and Passage of Tears, the last also published by Seagull Books. Nancy Naomi Carlson is an award-winning author and translator.
- Author(s)Abdourahman A. Waberi
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication19/05/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe Africa List
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight227 g
- Width127 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byNancy Naomi Carlson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.